Thursday, September 06, 2007

Signing Statement Database

Neil Kinkopf, a law professor at Georgia State University School of Law, has published an index to all of George W. Bush's signing statements from 2001 to the present. Neil's categorization represents a continuing problem with reading the Bush administration's challenges--that there are terms that shift, which I presume was deliberate on behalf of the administration, to make it difficult to track. And Neil's count is about 100 less challenges than I have recorded to date. I spoke with Neil last February when we both attended the William and Mary Bill of Rights Society conference on presidential signing statements. He told me that he was working on a database, and that he was applying a more restrictive lens to recording a challenge, although I cannot recall what that is. I am in the process now of sorting out where are counts differ and why. I am sure this is something the administration hoped for as well. "Let's get several different counts out there, and then we can make the case how does anyone know what is and is not a challenge?" Maybe.

Either way, it is a handy index which I encourage you to use and critique, if necessary.